The Electronic Materials and Devices Laboratory (EMDL) is comprised of students and senior researchers with diverse backgrounds across the disciplines of Electrical Engineering, Physics, Materials Science, Chemistry, and Chemical Engineering. Such breadth allows vertical integration of research in electronic materials, nanostructures, optoelectronics, photovoltaics, electronics, device fabrication and integrated systems. The interdisciplinary philosophy of research within EMDL grants a unique perspective and results in extensive collaboration with other groups, at OSU and beyond.
The Electronic Materials and Devices Laboratory (EMDL) at Ohio State is located in the Department of Electrical Engineering and is directed by Professor Steven A. Ringel. For more information about activities and opportunities, please contact the EMDL Executive Assistant, Ms. Jennifer Donovan, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Yuewei Zhang, Steven A. Ringel and Siddharth Rajan, “Evaluation of Low-Temperature Saturation Velocity in b-(AlxGa1-x)2O3/Ga2O3 Modulation-doped Field Effect Transistors,” accepted and to appear IEEE Trans. Electron Dev. (2019).
- Wenyuan Sun, Steven A. Ringel and Aaron R. Arehart, “Investigation of Trap-induced Threshold Voltage Instability in GaN-on-Si MISHMETs,” accepted and to appear, IEEE Trans. Electron Dev. (2019).
- D. A. Gleason, K. Galiano, J. L. Brown, A. M. Hilton, S. A. Ringel, A. R. Arehart, E. R. Heller, D. L. Dorsey, and J. P. Pelz, Local Trap Spectroscopy on Cross-Sectioned AlGaN/GaN Devices with In Situ Biasing, Applied Physics Letters, 114, 053510 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5079745
- Esmat Farzana, Max F. Chaiken, Thomas E. Blue, Aaron R. Arehart and Steven A. Ringel, “Impact of deep level defects induced by high energy neutron radiation in b-Ga2O3,” APL Materials 7, 022502 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5054606
- P. Altermatt, Zhen Xiong, QiuXiang He, WeiWei Deng, Yang Yang, Yifeng Chen, ZhiQiang Feng, Pierre J. Verlinden, Anyao Liu, Daniel H. Macdonald, Tabea Luka, Dominik Lausch, Marko Turek, Christian Hagendorf, Hannes Wagner-Mohnsen, Jonas Schön, Wolfram Kwapil , Felix Frühauf, Otwin Breitenstein, Erin E.Looney, Tonio Buonassisi, David B.Needleman, Christine M. Jackson, Aaron R. Arehart, Steven A. Ringel, Keith R. McIntosh, Malcolm D. Abbott, Ben A. Sudbury, Annika Zuschlag, Clemens Winter, Daniel Skorka, Giso Hahn, Daniel Chung, Bernhard Mitchell, Peter Geelan-Small and Thorsten Trupkek, “High-performance p-type multicrystalline silicon (mc-Si): Its characterization and projected performance in PERC solar cells,” Solar Energy 175, pp. 68-74 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.solener.2018.01.073
- E. Farzana, M. Chaiken, T. E. Blue, A. R. Arehart, and S. A. Ringel, “Impact of deep level defects induced by high energy neutron radiation in β-Ga2O3,” APL Materials 7 (2), 022502 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5054606
- Daniel J. Chmielewski, Daniel. L. Lepkowski, Jacob T. Boyer, Tyler J. Grassman and Steven A. Ringel, “Comparative Study of ! 2.05 eV Lattice-matched and Metamorphic (Al)GaInP Solar Cells Grown by MOCVD,” IEEE Journal of Photovoltaics 8 (6), 1601-1607 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1109/JPHOTOV.2018.2868032
- E. Farzana, H. M. Foronda, C. M. Jackson, T. Razzak, Z. Zhang, J. S. Speck, A. R. Arehart, and S. A. Ringel, “Characterization of traps in InAlN by optically and thermally stimulated deep level defect spectroscopies,” J. Appl. Phys. 124 (14), 145703 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5050949
Joe. F. McGlone, Zhanbo Xia, Yuewei Zhang, Chandan Joishi, Saurabh Lodha, Siddharth Rajan, Steven A. Ringel, Aaron R. Arehart, “Trapping Effects in Si δ-Doped β-Ga2O3 MESFETs on an Fe-Doped β-Ga2O3 Substrate,” IEEE Electron Device Letters, vol. 39, no. 7, pp. 1042–1045, Jul. 2018. https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LED.2018.2843344 https://dx.doi.org/10.1109/LED.2018.2843344
Kevin Galiano, J. I. Deitz, S. D. Carnevale, D. A. Gleason, P. K. Paul, Z. Zhang, B. M. McSkimming, J. S. Speck, S. A. Ringel, T. J. Grassman, A. R. Arehart, and J. P. Pelz, “Spatial correlation of the Ec-0.57 eV trap state with edge dislocations in epitaxial n-type gallium nitride”, Journal of Applied Physics 123, 224504, 2018. https://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5022806ttps://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5022806
- Esmat Farzana, Elaheh Ahmadi, James S. Speck, Aaron R. Arehart, and Steven A. Ringel, “Deep level defects in Ge-doped (010) β-Ga2O3 layers grown by plasma-assisted molecular beam epitaxy” in Journal of Applied Physics 123 (16), 161410 (2018). https://dx.doi.org/10.1063/1.5010608
- C. Joishi, Z. Xia, J. McGlone, Y. Zhang, A.R. Arehart, S.A. Ringel, S. Lodha, and S. Rajan, “Effect of Buffer Iron Doping on Delta-doped b-Ga2O3 Metal Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors,” Appl. Phys. Lett 113 (12), 123501 (2018).